If you run a business or company chances are you have or will be in need of a website. Websites are the key to finding and obtaining new customers, sell products, and provide information about your services. Websites can range from very simple and basic to extremely technical, depending on your needs. Typically a simple website will cost you less than $1000 while the more technical websites could cost upwards of tens of thousand of dollars. Below you will read below why websites cost so much money.
Web Domain & Hosting setup
– Before you even get started on building a website you need to purchase a website address or domain along with a hosting account. A website domain is the address people will be able to find you such as www.skyneilson.com. Many simple domains are quite difficult to find these days and you may need to add more words to get a domain you will be comfortable with. Domains can cost as low as $10 a year but could cost more if the domain is owned by a previous owner. After buying a domain you will need a hosting account. A hosting account will make it so you can store your web files and pages on the web. Hosting can cost you anywhere from a $100 to $1000 a year depending on what you want your website to do.
– There are several platforms that websites use these days and it all depends on what you want in your website. Most medium and small businesses use WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, and Shopify. Each has their advantages and disadvantages, for example, WordPress is great if you want to edit quickly and make consistent updates and Shopify is great if you sell a lot of products and want an easy way to keep track of the inventory.
– Everything you want to show your clients and future clients. Pictures, graphics, logos, videos, social media accounts, blogs, reviews, maps, contact information and excerpts of everything your business or company does should be add to your website. If you have these already made and ready to be used the cheaper and quicker your site will be able to be put together. If you expect to have your web designer to create everything it will take a good amount of time to find images, create videos, and build quality content. The more you can provide to your web designer the better they can convey the overall message of the business or company.
Organizing the Content
– Content needs to be organized into specific pages, normally with a front page, product page, about page, services pages, and contact page. The site can also consist of several other pages that will make your website reach to other locations and additional services. The website theme must also be planned accordingly to make color schemes, types, fonts, sizes, and site structure stay relevant.
– Websites need to be made page by page and product by product. As you can imagine it can take a long time to get all the content positioned in a good layout; not leaving unnecessary white space, having condensed fonts, images being too large, and other content in uniform with the rest of the site.
– As technology continues to be developed it is important for your website to be able to adapt to the various changing screen sizes. This could also become another website if properly done.
– When trying to build a reputation for your site you must add a blog and keep it current to show that you are on top of what is going on in your business or company. Sharing insights, news, achievements and other relevant information will help your business show up in the searches.
– In addition to your website you will want to track your website and see if it is attracting many visitors. What would be the point of a website if no one is going to it? Google and Bing both have platforms where you can track the statistics of your website all for free. It would also be a good ideal to look into Google and Bing advertising to help attract more visitors and customers. Setting these up can take a good amount of time if you do not have an understanding of how to use them. You will also want to register your site with Webmaster Tools as it will help you give insights on how to improve your website speeds and indexing.
– Plugins, themes, and platforms are constantly needing to be updated to make them safer and for secure. Blogs and content are also things that should be updated to keep up with the moving times. Maintenance should be done with care as they could potential break or ruin the website if done improperly. It is also important to keep a record of backups just in case a problem arises.
Depending on the type of website and the goal of the website you can easily expect to fork out a few thousand dollars for a good clean website. Cost can be reduced if you provide all the content ahead of time and have it organized accordingly. Be sure to take the right approach when you decide to create or update your website. Contact your web designer and ask them many questions to see how well of a fit to build you a website. It will pay off in the end.